KT & RJ Leading the Way in Wingless Power Rankings
The Wheatley Chronicles – Volume IV, No. 19
Lonnie Wheatley, TULSA, Okla. (May 31, 2016) – In the latest edition of the Open Wheel Power Rankings, Kevin Thomas, Jr., holds the top spot in Infinity Shocks Non-Wing 410 Sprint Car Power Rankings with R.J. Johnson atop the Beaver Stripes Non-Wing 360 Sprint Car Power Rankings.
Alabama native Thomas, Jr., has been on a tear as of late and holds the number one ranking over Thomas Meseraull on the strength of race wins while Johnson extended his lead in the Beaver Stripes 360 ranks with a “Salute to Indy” sweep of the weekend in Arizona.
(Myka Walls photo)
Infinity Shocks Non-Wing 410 Sprint Car Power Rankings – Top 40 (Through May 30):
Kevin Thomas, Jr., sits atop the Infinity Shocks Non-Wing 410 Power Rankings on the strength of the number of races won as a tiebreaker.
KT and “T-Mez” Thomas Meseraull have both racked up 219 points with Thomas, Jr., getting the edge for the number one ranking with four wins compered to Meseraull’s two triumphs. Three of the four wins for Thomas, Jr., have come in recent weekends with a USAC score at Brownstown to go along with a pair of Kokomo triumphs.
Previous leader Bryan Clauson has stayed busy at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway but is still ranked third after a Sunday win at Kokomo with C.J. Leary and Brady Bacon rounding out the current top five.
Rank – Name, Hometown (Wins) – Points (+/- previous ranking)
- Kevin Thomas, Jr., Cullman AL (4) 219 (+6)
- Thomas Meseraull, San Jose CA (2) 219 (+2)
- Bryan Clauson, Noblesville IN (6) 198 (-2)
- C.J. Leary, Greenfield IN 187 (-1)
- Brady Bacon, Broken Arrow OK (1) 186
- Kyle Cummins, Princeton IN 170 (-4)
- Dave Darland, Lincoln IN (1) 166 (-1)
- Shane Cottle, Kokomo IN (1) 158 (+1)
- Robert Ballou, Rocklin CA (2) 156 (-1)
- Brady Short, Bedford IN (4) 154 (+1)
- Chase Stockon, Sullivan IN (2) 132 (-1)
- Chris Windom, Canton IL 129 (+2)
- Chad Boespflug, Hanford CA (1) 113 (-1)
- Jon Stanbrough, Avon IN (1) 111 (-1)
- Jeff Bland, Jr., Bedford IN (1) 104
- Shawn Westerfeld, Guilford IN (2) 81 (+1)
- Jarett Andretti, Mooresville IN (1) 81 (-1)
- Shane Cockrum, Benton IL (1) 74 (+3)
- Tyler Courtney, Indianapolis IN 69 (+1)
- Max McGhee, Mooresville IN 68 (-1)
- Justin Grant, Ione CA 65 (-3)
- Josh Hodges, Tijeras NM (1) 61 (+5)
- Clinton Boyles, Greenwood MO (2) 56 (-1)
- Kody Swanson, Kingsburg CA (2) 54 (+8)
- Scotty Weir, Marion IN (1) 53 (+15)
- Richard Vander Weerd, Visalia CA 52
- Carson Short, Marion IL 51 (-2)
- Brody Roa, Buena Park CA 50 (-5)
- Cooper Clouse, Ohio City OH (2) 48 (+2)
- Brent Beauchamp, Fairland IN 46 (+6)
- Mike Spencer, Temecula CA 44 (-3)
- Nick Bilbee, Indianapolis IN (1) 43 (-8)
- Damion Gardner, Concord CA 41 (-3)
- Austin Williams, Yorba Linda CA (1) 40 (+13)
- Jerry Coons, Jr., Tucson AZ 40 (+28)
- Taylor Walton, Warrensburg MO (1) 39 (-2)
- Jake Swanson, Anaheim CA 37 (+6)
- Korey Weyant, Springfield IL (1) 36 (+1)
- Jordan Kinser, Bedford IN 35 (+11)
- Joss Moffatt, Columbus IN (1) 34 (-2)
Features Completed: 57
Number of Different Winners: 35
Number of Drivers to Earn Points: 134
Infinity Shocks is dedicated to meeting your shock needs for all variety of Sprint Car, Midget and Micro Sprint racing. Keep track of Infinity Shocks via the Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/infinity.shocks.
Beaver Stripes Non-Wing 360 Sprint Car Power Rankings – Top 30 (Through May 30):
Finishing atop the Beaver Stripes Non-Wing 360 Sprint Car Power Rankings over each of the past three years, R.J. Johnson extended this year’s lead to 66 points over Bryan Clauson and Charles Davis, Jr., with a sweep of this past weekend’s USAC Southwest “Salute to Indy” at Canyon Speedway Park.
With Johnson gunning for a fourth consecutive top finish in Beaver Stripes Non-Wing 360 Power Rankings, Stevie Sussex and Josh Hodges round out the current top five with Mike Martin climbing a pair of spots in the top ten to eighth.
Rank – Name, Hometown (Wins) – Points (+/- previous ranking)
- R.J. Johnson, Phoenix AZ (3) 178
- Bryan Clauson, Noblesville IN (4) 112
- Charles Davis, Jr., Buckeye AZ 112
- Stevie Sussex, Tempe AZ (3) 107
- Josh Hodges, Tijeras NM (2) 84
- D.J. Johnson, Stockton CA (2) 80
- Brody Roa, Buena Park CA (1) 75
- Mike Martin, Yuma AZ 69 (+2)
- Terry Schank, Jr., Santa Rosa CA (7) 63 (-1)
- Richard Vander Weerd, Visalia CA (1) 56 (-1)
- Matt Rossi, Peoria AZ 53 (+3)
- Trey Marcham, Newcastle OK 52 (-1)
- Jace Vander Weerd, Visalia CA 51 (-1)
- Brian Hosford, Gilbert AZ 47 (+14)
- Rick Kobs, Deer Park WI (5) 45 (+1)
- Jason Grady, Flora Vista NM (3) 45 (+4)
- Josh Pelkey, Peoria AZ 45 (+4)
- Austin Liggett, Tracy CA (1) 41 (-5)
- Nick Aiuto, Camp Verde AZ 41 (+13)
- Rick Hendrix, Palmdale CA 36 (-5)
- Bruce St. James, Phoenix AZ 35 (+17)
- Thomas Ogle, Surprise AZ 34
- Kyle Smith, Moorpark CA (1) 32 (-6)
- Dennis Gile, Phoenix AZ 32 (-6)
- Andrew Reinbold, Chandler AZ 32 (-6)
- Tye Mihocko, Peoria AZ 31 (+17)
- Guy Woodward, Santa Clarita CA (2) 28 (-4)
- Troy Rutherford, Ojai CA (1) 27 (-4)
- Max Adams, Loomis CA 27 (-4)
- Michael Fanelli, Rio Rancho NM 24 (+20)
Features Completed: 51
Number of Different Winners: 27
Number of Drivers to Earn Points: 119
Title sponsor of the Non-Wing 360 Sprint Car Power Rankings, Beaver Stripes Custom Graphics and Molding Supply is an Arizona supplier of automotive graphics, moldings and custom accessories. In business for more than 30 years, Beaver Stripes is actively involved in keeping the local racing action alive in the Phoenix and Arizona area with a strong interest in local car clubs, car shows and other vehicle related activity involving the community.
A sponsor of Canyon Speedway Park and Arizona Speedway, Beaver Stripes is located at 2389 W. McDowell Road in Phoenix for all your graphics needs and may be contacted at 602-289-8000 or 800-257-7835. More information is available at www.beaverstripes.com.
A part of the recurring “The Wheatley Chronicles” series of articles on www.sprintcarmania.com, the Open Wheel Power Rankings are determined by cumulative points based on a sliding scale dependent upon car count at Sprint Car and Midget events across all sanctions and non-sanctions throughout North America.
The Wheatley Chronicles brings insight and highlights from all variety of racing series throughout the nation in 2016 and beyond along with the Open Wheel Power Rankings on a regular basis. Please send any comments, questions or advertising inquiries regarding The Wheatley Chronicles at www.sprintcarmania.com to Lonnie Wheatley at firstname.lastname@example.org.