Sheldon Shines in Attica Ambush Finale
by Tyler Altmeyer, ATTICA, Ohio (September 5, 2015) – Wooster, Ohio’s Sheldon Haudenschild continued his breakout season on Saturday night, September 5, with a $5,000 victory at Attica Raceway Park in Attica, Ohio. It was Haudenschild’s fourth victory of the current season with the UNOH All Star Circuit of Champions and the fifth of his career. The pilot of the familiar Southern Pacific Farms, #93 took command of the 40-lap, “Attica Ambush” finale officially on lap 12; taking advantage of Tim Shaffer’s early race misfortune. Haudenschild raced the remaining distance untouched, eventually crossing under the checkers with a near five second advantage over Chad Kemenah and Cody Darrah.
“This is a dream team right now with Bonzai and Zach. We do our work during the week, have a little bit of fun, and go to the track ready every weekend” explained Sheldon Haudenschild, “That’s what it takes…being prepared during the week and going to the races on the weekend knowing that you are ready. This is a great way to start it out before going into Wayne County tomorrow. We’ve been good there, so we’ll try to get it done again tomorrow.”
Lee Jacobs and Tim Shaffer paced the 24-car grid to “green” at Attica Raceway Park. Jacobs made the early move and took sole command of the main event, eventually losing the top spot to Aliquippa, Pennsylvania’s Tim Shaffer after brief contact on lap three. Even after contact, the “Steel City Outlaw” kept his momentum and held the top spot until the event’s first and only caution on lap 12. Unfortunately for him, Shaffer would be the victim; coming to a stop on the backstretch for a flat right-rear tire after making contact with the frontstretch wall.
In the mean time, Sheldon Haudenschild charged his way forward from fifth on the grid, finding himself in the runner-up position just before the caution. With Shaffer going pit-side to replace a rear tire, the lead was surrendered to Haudenschild. “Lil Haud” would bring the UNOH All Stars back to green flag conditions, navigating his preferred line near the edge of the racing surface. Despite rubber-down conditions becoming a factor, as well as running into lapped traffic by lap 17, Haudenschild never faltered; eventually sailing away for a second-career Attica Raceway Park victory.
“We were racing (Tim) Shaffer there for the lead and it looked like it was going to be a good race until he got that flat” said Haudenschild, “When the rubber does get down and you get up to the lapped cars that are off the pace, it can be sketchy to slide them because you don’t know if the second place car is in the rubber right there…they’ll definitely get a run on you.”
Chad Kemenah moved himself into the runner-up position soon after the lap-12 restart. The former UNOH All Star series champion would hold on to finish second after starting on the inside of the second row. Friday night winner Cody Darrah crossed the line in the final podium position after racing back and forth with eventual fourth place finisher Chris Andrews. Cap Henry would climb five positions to claim a top-five performance after starting tenth.
“I just want to thank my car owner for sticking this out” said Chad Kemenah, “We’ve been struggling pretty bad. We are either really good, or we are really bad. My brother works his tail off for me. I just want to thank all of my crew, Paul Kistler, everyone for their hard work. I also want to send out a happy birthday to my car owner’s daughter, Lexi. This is a good starting point for us heading into tomorrow…you gotta start somewhere.”
The UNOH All Star Circuit of Champions will conclude their three-race Labor Day weekend swing through the “Buckeye State” on Sunday evening, September 6, with a visit to the Wayne County Speedway near Orrville, Ohio. It will be the 50th appearance by the UNOH All Stars at Wayne County Speedway, with the most recent event taking shape back on June 22 during Ohio Sprint Speedweek presented by Cometic Gasket. Sheldon Haudenschild earned the speedweek triumph; a second-career UNOH All Star victory at Wayne County Speedway for the nearby Wooster, Ohio native.
Pit gates are scheduled to open at 3:00PM on Sunday afternoon, with hot laps hitting the racing surface at approximately 6:00PM. For more information, please visit Wayne County Speedway live on the web at www.waynecountyspeedway.com.
(Photo courtesy of ARP)
Contingency Awards/Results – Attica Raceway Park – Saturday, September 5, 2015:
Lincoln Electric Fast Qualifier: Cody Darrah – 12.268 seconds
Kistler Racing Products Heat #1: Sheldon Haudenschild
All Pro Aluminum Cylinder Heads Heat #2: Chris Andrews
Hunt Brothers Pizza Heat #3: Lee Jacobs
JE Pistons Dash: Lee Jacobs
Daido Engine Bearings Main Event Winner: Sheldon Haudenschild
MSD A-Main 3rd Place Finisher: Cody Darrah
Outback Steakhouse A-Main 10th Place Finisher: Byron Reed
Outback Steakhouse A-Main 15th Place Finisher: Tim Shaffer
1.89-Cody Darrah, 12.268; 2.10H-Chad Kemenah, 12.323; 3.19-Chris Andrews, 12.383; 4.57X-Andrew Palker, 12.416; 5.93-Sheldon Haudenschild, 12.490; 6.W20-Greg Wilson, 12.521; 7.45-Tim Shaffer, 12.531; 8.97-Dean Jacobs, 12.563; 9.73-Jac Haudenschild, 12.634; 10.16-Stuart Brubaker, 12.678; 11.3J-Trey Jacobs, 12.700; 12.83M-Broc Martin, 12.776; 13.5T-Travis Philo, 12.779; 14.5K-Adam Kekich, 12.784; 15.45L-Brian Lay, 12.794; 16.1-Dale Blaney, 12.824; 17.94-Ryan Smith, 12.825; 18.21-Cap Henry, 12.842; 19.40-Caleb Helms, 12.901; 20.59-Danny Holtgraver, 12.904; 21.9x-Rob Chaney, 12.934; 22.7C-Caleb Armstrong, 12.935; 23.11N-Randy Hannagan, 12.942; 24.81-Lee Jacobs, 12.991; 25.5-Byron Reed, 13.012; 26.23JR-Jack Sodeman, 13.102; 27.40DD-Nate Dussel, 13.260; 28.4-Danny Smith, 13.536; 29.9-Jordan Ryan, 13.638;
Heat 1, Group A – (10 Laps)
1. 93-Sheldon Haudenschild ; 2. 10H-Chad Kemenah ; 3. 89-Cody Darrah ; 4. 57X-Andrew Palker ; 5. 16-Stuart Brubaker ; 6. 94-Ryan Smith ; 7. 5K-Adam Kekich ; 8. 7C-Caleb Armstrong ; 9. 45L-Brian Lay ; 10. 3J-Trey Jacobs
Heat 2, Group B – (10 Laps)
1. 19-Chris Andrews ; 2. 45-Tim Shaffer ; 3. 97-Dean Jacobs ; 4. W20-Greg Wilson ; 5. 73-Jac Haudenschild ; 6. 83M-Broc Martin ; 7. 1-Dale Blaney ; 8. 5T-Travis Philo ; 9. 40-Caleb Helms ; 10. 11N-Randy Hannagan
Heat 3, Group C – (10 Laps)
1. 81-Lee Jacobs ; 2. 9x-Rob Chaney ; 3. 21-Cap Henry ; 4. 5-Byron Reed ; 5. 4-Danny Smith ; 6. 59-Danny Holtgraver ; 7. 23JR-Jack Sodeman ; 8. 9-Jordan Ryan ; 9. 40DD-Nate Dussel
Dash 1 – (8 Laps)
1. 81-Lee Jacobs ; 2. 45-Tim Shaffer ; 3. 10H-Chad Kemenah ; 4. 19-Chris Andrews ; 5. 93-Sheldon Haudenschild ; 6. 89-Cody Darrah ; 7. 9x-Rob Chaney ; 8. 57X-Andrew Palker
B-Main 1 – (12 Laps)
1. 5T-Travis Philo ; 2. 3J-Trey Jacobs ; 3. 40-Caleb Helms ; 4. 9-Jordan Ryan ; 5. 23JR-Jack Sodeman ; 6. 1-Dale Blaney ; 7. 11N-Randy Hannagan ; 8. 5K-Adam Kekich ; 9. 45L-Brian Lay ; 10. 7C-Caleb Armstrong ; 11. 40DD-Nate Dussel
A-Main 1 – (40 Laps)
1. 93-Sheldon Haudenschild ; 2. 10H-Chad Kemenah ; 3. 89-Cody Darrah ; 4. 19-Chris Andrews ; 5. 21-Cap Henry ; 6. 97-Dean Jacobs ; 7. W20-Greg Wilson ; 8. 73-Jac Haudenschild ; 9. 9x-Rob Chaney ; 10. 5-Byron Reed ; 11. 16-Stuart Brubaker ; 12. 1-Dale Blaney ; 13. 94-Ryan Smith ; 14. 57X-Andrew Palker ; 15. 45-Tim Shaffer ; 16. 4-Danny Smith ; 17. 59-Danny Holtgraver ; 18. 81-Lee Jacobs ; 19. 5T-Travis Philo ; 20. 40-Caleb Helms ; 21. 3J-Trey Jacobs ; 22. 83M-Broc Martin ; 23. 23JR-Jack Sodeman ; 24. 9-Jordan Ryan