Topless Tuesday – Clauson & RJ Johnson Lead Non-Wing Power Rankings
The Wheatley Chronicles – Volume IV, No. 23
Lonnie Wheatley, TULSA, Okla. (June 21, 2016) – While New Mexico’s Josh Hodges picked up the most notable non-wing Sprint Car win of the past weekend, it is Bryan Clauson and R.J. Johnson leading the way in the latest non-wing portions of the Open Wheel Power Rankings.
After a silent Friday night, the Amati 68 Classic at Paragon Speedway headlined a handful of Saturday night wingless 410-ci cards. While Brady Short prevailed in the Amati 68 with track conditions reportedly less than ideal, C.J. Leary jumped in the family-owned No. 30 and picked off his first win of the year at Lawrenceburg while Kevin Thomas, Jr., added his sixth triumph of the season with a Putnamville score. To the west in Missouri, Korey Weyant added another WAR score while Joshua Stephens triumphed at Valley.
Rallying from deep in the field for a USAC/CRA triumph earlier in the year at Perris, Hodges added his first career Indiana win by racing to victory lane on Sunday night at Kokomo.
In the Non-Wing 360 ranks, Brody Roa bested a field of USAC West Coast foes at Santa Maria after R.J. Johnson added his fourth USAC Southwest win of the year one week earlier at Arizona Speedway.
After a stellar Eastern Storm effort, Bryan Clauson holds the lead in Infinity Shocks Non-Wing 410 Power Rankings while R.J. Johnson holds the lead in the Beaver Stripes Non-Wing 410 Power Rankings as he takes aim at the final number one ranking for the fourth year in a row.
(Photo courtesy of TeeJay Crawford)
Infinity Shocks Non-Wing 410 Sprint Car Power Rankings – Top 40 (Through June 19):
With 13 of his 23 overall wins among the wingless 410 ranks, Bryan Clauson holds the top position in Infinity Shocks Non-Wing 410 Sprint Car Power Rankings by 46 points over Kevin Thomas, Jr.
With USAC headed to the heartland this weekend for four nights of action, current series points leader Brady Bacon in third in the Power Rankings with Thomas Meseraull and Dave Darland rounding out the current top five while Chris Windom has made his way into the top ten after a strong Eastern Storm.
Rank – Name, Hometown (Wins) – Points (+/- previous ranking)
- Bryan Clauson, Noblesville IN (13) 380
- Kevin Thomas, Jr., Cullman AL (6) 334
- Brady Bacon, Broken Arrow OK (1) 297 (+1)
- Thomas Meseraull, San Jose CA (2) 279 (-1)
- Dave Darland, Lincoln IN (1) 256
- C.J. Leary, Greenfield IN (1) 249
- Chris Windom, Canton IL (1) 223 (+4)
- Robert Ballou, Rocklin CA (2) 219
- Brady Short, Bedford IN (5) 204 (+1)
- Shane Cottle, Kokomo IN (1) 201 (-3)
- Kyle Cummins, Princeton IN (1) 185 (-2)
- Chase Stockon, Sullivan IN (2) 182 (+1)
- Chad Boespflug, Hanford CA (2) 180 (-1)
- Jeff Bland, Jr., Bedford IN (1) 146
- Max McGhee, Mooresville IN 137 (+6)
- Jarett Andretti, Mooresville IN (1) 128
- Shawn Westerfeld, Guilford IN (3) 126 (+2)
- Jon Stanbrough, Avon IN (1) 122 (-3)
- Shane Cockrum, Benton IL (2) 121 (-2)
- Jerry Coons, Jr., Tucson AZ 107 (+2)
- Josh Hodges, Tijeras NM (2) 94 (+3)
- Tyler Courtney, Indianapolis IN 89 (-4)
- Scotty Weir, Marion IN (1) 79 (-3)
- Justin Grant, Ione CA 74 (-1)
- Richard Vander Weerd, Visalia CA (1) 72 (+2)
- Clinton Boyles, Greenwood MO (2) 63 (-1)
- Brody Roa, Buena Park CA 63 (+3)
- Cooper Clouse, Ohio City OH (2) 59 (+3)
- Brent Beauchamp, Fairland IN 58 (+3)
- Dallas Hewitt, Troy OH 57 (+14)
- Korey Weyant, Springfield IL (3) 54 (+4)
- Kody Swanson, Kingsburg CA (2) 54 (-6)
- Garrett Abrams, Rushville IN 54 (+23)
- Jake Swanson, Anaheim CA 54 (+5)
- Mike Spencer, Temecula CA 53 (-2)
- Damion Gardner, Concord CA 52
- Carson Short, Marion IL 51 (-9)
- Nick Bilbee, Indianapolis IN (1) 50 (-9)
- Kyle Simon, Covington OH 48 (-3)
- Jordan Kinser, Bedford IN 48 (+1)
Features Completed: 83
Number of Different Winners: 44
Number of Drivers to Earn Points: 170
Infinity Shocks is dedicated to meeting your shock needs for all variety of Sprint Car, Midget and Micro Sprint racing. Keep track of Infinity Shocks via the Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/infinity.shocks.
Beaver Stripes Non-Wing 360 Sprint Car Power Rankings – Top 30 (Through June 19):
R.J. Johnson ran his USAC Southwest win total to four with a Queen Creek win to extend his Beaver Stripes Non-Wing 360 Sprint Car Power Rankings lead to 69 points over Charles Davis, Jr., who moved past Stevie Sussex for the second spot.
With his USAC West Coast triumph this past weekend, Brody Roa jumped a pair of positions to sixth.
Rank – Name, Hometown (Wins) – Points (+/- previous ranking)
- R.J. Johnson, Phoenix AZ (4) 228
- Charles Davis, Jr., Buckeye AZ 159 (+1)
- Stevie Sussex, Tempe AZ (5) 147 (-1)
- Bryan Clauson, Noblesville IN (4) 112
- Mike Martin, Yuma AZ 104
- Brody Roa, Buena Vista CA (2) 99 (+2)
- D.J. Johnson, Stockton CA (2) 93
- Matt Rossi, Peoria AZ 88 (+1)
- Josh Hodges, Tijeras NM (2) 84 (-3)
- Terry Schank, Jr., Santa Rosa CA (9) 81
- Trey Marcham, Newcastle OK 67 (+1)
- Jason Grady, Flora Vista NM (4) 60 (+5)
- Richard Vander Weerd, Visalia CA (1) 56 (-2)
- Nick Aiuto, Camp Verde AZ 55 (+5)
- Brian Hosford, Gilbert AZ 54 (+1)
- Jace Vander Weerd, Visalia CA 51 (-3)
- Tye Mihocko, Peoria AZ 51 (+4)
- Rick Kobs, Deer Park WI (5) 48 (-4)
- Andrew Reinbold, Chandler AZ 48 (-4)
- Dennis Gile, Phoenix AZ 48
- Josh Pelkey, Peoria AZ 45 (-3)
- Kyle Smith, Moorpark CA (3) 44 (+2)
- Austin Liggett, Tracy CA (1) 41 (-1)
- Shon Deskins, Waddell AZ 40 (-1)
- Rick Hendrix, Palmdale CA 38
- Bruce St. James, Phoenix AZ 38
- Rob Lindsey, Sherwood OR (2) 36 (+9)
- Josh Grady, Farmington NM 34 (+6)
- Thomas Ogle, Surprise AZ 34 (-2)
- Guy Woodward, Santa Clarita CA (2) 32 (-2)
Features Completed: 65
Number of Different Winners: 28
Number of Drivers to Earn Points: 136
Title sponsor of the Non-Wing 360 Sprint Car Power Rankings, Beaver Stripes Custom Graphics and Molding Supply is an Arizona supplier of automotive graphics, moldings and custom accessories. In business for more than 30 years, Beaver Stripes is actively involved in keeping the local racing action alive in the Phoenix and Arizona area with a strong interest in local car clubs, car shows and other vehicle related activity involving the community.
A sponsor of Canyon Speedway Park and Arizona Speedway, Beaver Stripes is located at 2389 W. McDowell Road in Phoenix for all your graphics needs and may be contacted at 602-289-8000 or 800-257-7835. More information is available at www.beaverstripes.com.
A part of the recurring “The Wheatley Chronicles” series of articles on www.sprintcarmania.com, the Open Wheel Power Rankings are determined by cumulative points based on a sliding scale dependent upon car count at Sprint Car and Midget events across all sanctions and non-sanctions throughout North America.
The Wheatley Chronicles brings insight and highlights from all variety of racing series throughout the nation in 2016 and beyond along with the Open Wheel Power Rankings on a regular basis. Please send any comments, questions or advertising inquiries regarding The Wheatley Chronicles at www.sprintcarmania.com to Lonnie Wheatley at firstname.lastname@example.org.